May 28, 2011

Biscuits Made with Soy Milk

I am totally out of milk and half and half on a Saturday morning. Saturdays are when I attempt to give my kids something other than cereal. Unfortunately, those buttery, flaking biscuits I wanted will have to be made with soy milk. This is something I have never done, so here it goes. These are not dairy-free, cause I gots(yes, I said 'gots') me plenty o' butter, but darn, I wish I had some half and half.

Here is the recipe:
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
3/4 c soy milk, with 1 t of vinegar
6 T butter.

For those of you who hate horror scenes, turn away. I mixed everything by hand. Okay, you can turn back now. I patted the dough out and using 2-inch biscuit cutters got about 10 biscuits and my son ate the remaining dough. I threw them into a nine inch baking pan at 425 and prayed I would not forget they were in the oven.I have been known to burn a few things. They seemed to take longer to brown than I expected and fear of them being too dry hit me. At the 16 minute mark, they were still not brown. I waited two more minutes and took them out, They were brown on the bottom. They seemed okay, but I will need my dairy next time.

I could not find my camera, so I used my son's Nintendo DS for photos. I'll post shortly.