December 16, 2009

Secret Tamale Stash

If you share this with my husband, it's curtains for you. When I was first married, I couldn't wait for my husband to leave for work so I could listen for the tamale lady pushing her cart down the street.

He was so sure I would become sick from eating the different street foods. No matter, I did it anyway. While the neighborhood I lived in at that time was less than desirable and nicer streets and fancier homes came with our upgrade, I miss the street food sold in my old neighborhood.


In an homage to my dear tamale lady, I made my own from a recipe right on the package of Maseca for Tamales by Azteca Milling. I swapped the lard for vegetable shortening, and the pork for chicken.  If you have the chance to pick up a package of this
tamale flour, go mad.

Click here for the Christmas Tamale recipe.