November 12, 2009

Gyudon(Beef Bowl), Because I Am Nowhere Near a Yoshinoya

 4 Servings


I had a craving for Yoshinoya's beef bowl.  A 50 mile drive for this is not warranted in today's economy. I researched how to make my own Japanese bowl of rice and yummy flavored beef.  Unfortunately, I had almost none of the ingredients. No dashi, no mirin, no red ginger, and no sake.


Here is what I had:
  • 1 pound thinly sliced top sirloin( I froze it before attempting to slice)
  • 1  large onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 1/3 cups beef broth to which I added 2 Table of sugar and 3 T of balsamic vinegar. (my dashi)
  • 4-5 T soy sauce
  • 4 cups white rice cooked ( I miss my rice cooker, it is in storage after a cross country trek)
  • 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced(not in the recipe, but I love garlic)
  • black pepper
In all honesty, after slicing the beef, I marinated it in 2 T soy sauce and some garlic powder for a couple of hours. This was all by feel.

The onions were brought to a simmer in a 2 quart saucepan filled with the beef broth, sugar, and balsamic.  I then added the additional soy sauce. Once this came to a boil I got ready to add the beef and sliced garlic. I did this to order so as to not crowd the saucepan and bring the temperature down. This ensured the raw beef cooked quickly.  I ladled the beef over 4 individual bowls of white rice. The pepper is personal..some of us had it, some didn't. You know I had it.

Loved it. Next time, I want to go authentic. It was okay for a recipe on the fly.